Thursday, July 17, 2014

#70Days It's a GRIT Day


I was on the plane for a couple of hours yesterday - just enough time to read Fostering Grit: How do I prepare my students for the real world? by Thomas H. Hoerr.  I highly recommend the book - it's a short read, the information is good, and it is practical!

This book ties in very well with our discussion a week ago on growth mindset ... and in fact some of the ideas I mentioned in this post are expanded here.

Here are a few of my favorite ideas:

Grit has to be taught. In the post on mindset I mentioned a Word Splash and asking students to categorize the words. I envision those words being on a bulletin board. Hoerr suggests these terms: grit, failure, frustration, tenacity, perseverance, resilience, self-confidence, self-image, comfort zone ... throw in a few more: ability, attitude, challenge, effort, fixed mindset, growth mindset.

I mentioned one picture book in the previous post ... here are two more (I love picture books even in high school!).  Giraffes Can't Dance by Giles Andreae, Guy Parker-Rees is about a giraffe who is teased because he can't dance ... until the day he hears the "right" music.  It's a quick read and could be used to make the point that everyone's contribution in class is worthwhile - no put-downs!

The other book is Mirette on the High Wire by Emily Arnold McCully.  This book is new to me, but it is about overcoming anxiety and mastering the tightrope - fits perfect with growth mindset!

I definitely want to use this chart with students ... really into self-reflection!



This fits in well with the Red, Yellow, Green stickers I wrote about recently as well!

Last ... tell parents and students when a GRIT day is coming up!  What a great way to engage parents in the conversation.  I look forward to sharing the idea of GRIT with parents in my weekly emails!

2 comments:

  1. Another great post Beth. Cannot wait to implement all these growth mindset ideas this coming year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sherrie! I am excited about all of the ideas ... and feeling a bit overwhelmed! How to pull off all of these good ideas and still maintain sanity??

      Delete