Saturday, June 6, 2015

#70 Days ... the first day

It's sort of our first day of summer break.  We have to make up an inclement weather day - so we have to report on Monday.  It will be an official day, but we can unofficially leave as soon as we turn in our checklist.  My checklist is complete except for badge, keys, and summer PD plan.  That will take less than an hour if all goes well.  So I'm counting today as the first of 70 days!

My daughter-in-law asked me about my plans.  She knows I'm a list maker.  And my list is still floating around in my head. Here are just a few items in no particular order ...

  • Play with the grandkids one morning a week
  • Read light, very light fiction!  Check out the local library!
  • Un-clutter kitchen cabinets
  • Un-clutter my closet - give away those clothes I don't wear
  • Clean the house 
  • Put walking back into my daily routine - aim for 10000 steps a day!
I know there is more ... but already I'm thinking the list it too long.

Besides taking care of my personal/private life, I'll be gearing up for next year.  I love teaching teens and I love teaching Algebra 2.  I enjoyed this past year but I know I got frustrated and tense in the last weeks.  I need time to refill my bucket.  I'm "for" 90% of the kids 90% of the time.  It's the 10% for whom I need an attitude adjustment.  It will happen this summer!

In addition, I need inspiration!  I need fresh ideas for delivering content, fresh ideas for engaging students.  I'll look to my online PLN for Twitter chats where we swap great ideas.  I'll also dig into some professional reading.  

For motivation and inspiration ... 

















For developing critical habits:
















For lesson structure and engagement:
 

In addition to these books, I'll be using online resources to develop technology integration ideas.  My students are all issued a laptop - that's not new.  But next year we will also have a class set of iPads. There may be additional technology that I don't know about yet.  Our classroom is a "Next Generation Digital Classroom."  I will be participating in this initiative for the first time. I don't know all of the details yet, but I know there are expectations and evaluations attached to the designation.

Next year will be a bit stressful ... new TEKS (standards), new textbooks, new online resources, new technology, new expectations.

Whew!  Let the de-stressing begin!

#summerlist
#Junechallenge
#DitchThatTxtbk




No comments:

Post a Comment