Monday, June 9, 2014

#70Days It's raining, it's pouring ...

Day 4
My devotional phrase for today ... pelted with joy!
God is watering the earth today!  Yet he has not left himself without testimony: He has shown kindness by giving you rain from heaven and crops in their seasons; he provides you with plenty of food and fills your hearts with joy. ~Acts 14:17  As the raindrops fall … large and plentiful today… I pray that joy fills our hearts in like measure!
    And pelted waters, on the vanished plain
    Plunges the blast. Behind the wild white flash
    That splits abroad the pealing thunder-crash,
    Over bleared fields and gardens disarrayed,
    Column on column comes the drenching rain.
~ A. Lampman
Pelted waters … pelt my soul with joy! 
I am enjoying our sunroom ... watching the rainfall ... considering the structure of my day.  There are several technology tools I want to explore.  Today looks like a great day for that and for reading! I don't really want to brave the hard rain to get outside!
These are the tools on my list to explore ... 
  • MoveNote
  • Haiku Deck 
  • Nearpod
  • WeVideo
  • Blendspace
  • Google for Education
  • Thinglink
  • Chesscademy

This past year I agreed to sponsor the Chess Club.  Our high school had a club several years back but it had been inactive a long time.  A 9th grade student came to me early in the school year.  He said his parents were requiring him to join a club (yea!) but that he was disappointed to learn there was no chess club in our school.  Would I sponsor one?  I asked a few questions - especially about time commitment since at that time I was already feeling a little overwhelmed.  He said they just wanted a place to play chess.  So I said yes!  His parents donated several nice chess boards, and I bought a few inexpensive boards as well.  We posted flyers around the school.  The club remained small throughout the year.  In the last weeks, the young men who were faithful to the club began talking about how to build up the club for next year ... a different meeting time, food, mini-tournaments with prizes.  And so we are making "big" plans.  My confession, though, is that I never played chess - not once!  So this summer, I'm learning how.  There are free lessons on ChessAcademy!  I also created a simple website ... until I can get feedback from club members about what they'd like to see on the site.
Today looks like a great day to explore chess strategy!

No comments:

Post a Comment