Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Every day a Saturday!

Whoa – it’s been a while since I blogged. I think about it a lot but thinking and doing are clearly different animals! 

It’s as if a room-darkening curtain drops down around my mind when I begin to think about blogging! With the lights out, there isn’t much to say.

Today I’m pushing through the darkness – bound to be some light on the other side!

I completed one full year of retirement … it’s been fun but there have also been some challenges. (I still mark time in school years 😜 )

Yay, no structure!! AND Whoa, no structure??

At first I loved not having structure; I especially loved not having a bedtime or an alarm clock.  I’ve never been a night owl but I quickly became fond of the hours between 10 pm and midnight – quiet, peaceful!

I also loved having time to explore hobbies and crafts. I learned to enjoy easy reading – set a goal to read a book a week and that’s been fun.  I use Goodreads to keep up with those books ...  feel free to friend me there. While I’ve been a member a long time, I haven’t taken advantage of all the features. Maybe this year I’ll write reviews and engage in discussions … who knows!


The challenges in retirement came from the opposite side of the coin – the lack of structure was difficult. I didn’t want a 40 – 80 hour workweek but I needed something on the calendar to help me focus.

In my tour as an educator I had been an elementary administrator for 10 years. I had seen first hand the value of community volunteers. So I offered to volunteer in my grandson’s second grade classroom. I offered to do whatever she needed.  I can cut and paste with the best! I can also read with kids … and yes, I can do math with them. I think my favorite activity was when she was working on a writing project and wanted students to brainstorm first. She gave me a set of questions, and I interviewed each child, writing down their responses. They used their interview responses to create their projects. Asking 2nd graders what makes them special was insightful! 


Next I decided I missed math. So I offered to tutor middle and high school students in our area.  I do charge for tutoring and that’s become my fun money. I discovered that tutoring is challenging. Not every kid whose mom hires me wants to do math for an hour. And some have issues – ADHD being a real challenge for kids. Tutoring tapped into the creative part of my brain that was eager for a workout.

So now I had about 7 – 8 hours on my calendar that helped to shape my school year … a far cry from the 40 -80 hours of previous years but just enough to provide boundaries to the days.

My husband (also retired) and I commented that every evening has been a Friday night and everyday a Saturday.  And yes, that’s the huge benefit of retirement.  It is also the huge challenge – if everyday is the same then where’s the differentiation?  I've been working through that!

Anyway … I’m already looking forward to the start of school in a whole different way than I used to.  And I think I’ll share some “getting ready for school” posts.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Thursday Thoughts ... Student Engagement

Student Engagement So many possibilities! Students want to be known, for us to know that they are in the room, that they matter! Gree...