Monday, June 6, 2016

The first day ... #retired

Today was my first day of retirement.  People have asked, "What will you do?  What plans do you have?"  And honestly ... my only plan at the time they asked was to rest, enjoy playing with the grandsons, and then see what might happen next.

So what did I do on my first day?

  • I unpacked and put away the few things I brought home from school - mostly office and craft supplies.  Most of my classroom I gave away before I left.
  • I read.  I'm trying to finish up books that I had started during the school year but never finished.  Parker Palmer's A Hidden Wholeness is one of those.  Other books on my list include The Listening Life, Mathematical Mindsets, and Achieve What Matters in 2016 (a short ebook by M. Hyatt).
  • I swept the pool. The rain has made it difficult to maintain the chemical balance.
  • I sat outside and relaxed in the shade.
  • I made a Harry Potter wand as an exemplar for the grandsons.  They are coming over to "Camp Grandma's" tomorrow!  Our camp craft is to make our own wands.
  • I made a small dent in my cleaning out my closet - bagged up clothes for Goodwill.
  • I dozed for a few minutes in the middle of the day.  It felt so good!
What about math?

I ran across Miss Math Dork's blog on Math IS Real Life.  Each month she highlights how she used math in a real situation.  She invites others to post as well and she puts them all on Pinterest.  I shared her site on my Facebook page for my elementary math friends.

I read how one teacher uses a Google Form, a rubric, and docAppender to provide written feedback to her students.  If you use rubrics to grade constructed responses, you might want to check this out.  I haven't tried it yet ... but it sounds like a useful tool!

I've been following all the talk on Twitter about setting up next year's notebook/planner.  I saw folks talking about 'bullet journaling" which was a new term to me.  So today I've been reading about it over here.  At the same time I also printed out a hard copy of our summer calendar for the hubs and me ... posted it in an easy to see place ... to help us keep up with the summer festivities.

I've been giving some thought as to what might be interesting and/or helpful to include in this blog.  I'm not quite ready to let it go. Hopefully inspiration will swing by for a visit soon.

This first day ... it was an ordinary day.  And it felt good!





No comments:

Post a Comment