Assessment is essential ... these two books are essential!
- Embedded Formative Assessment by Dylan Wiliams
- Mathematics Formative Assessment: 75 Practical Strategies by Keeley and Tobey
Asking the right questions is significant! These books are super resources for identifying good questions!
- Good Questions for Math Teaching: Why Ask Them and What to Ask, K-6 by Sullivan and Lilburn
- Good Questions for Math Teaching, Grades 5-8: Why Ask Them and What to Ask by Anderson and Schuster
- Good Questions: Great Ways to Differentiate Mathematics Instruction by Marian Small
- More Good Questions: Great Ways to Differentiate Secondary Mathematics Instruction by Small and Lin
Instructional strategies are key! Using research-based strategies to develop strong lessons are necessary!
- The Art and Science of Teaching: A Comprehensive Framework for Effective Instruction by Marzano
- The Strategic Teacher: Selecting the Right Research-Based Strategy for Every Lesson by Silver, Strong, and Perini
For enrichment and mathematical background information I love to read Theoni Pappas!
- More Joy of Mathematics
- The Joy of Mathematics
- Math Talk
- Fractals, Googols, and Other Mathematical Tales
- The Magic of Mathematics
- The Music of Reason
- The Adventures of Penrose–the Mathematical Cat
- Math for Kids & Other People Too!
Since writing is an initiative in our school, I dug through my shelf to find an old book, Mathematics Write Now. It emphasizes creative writing in math. I also stopped by our school's professional library to check out Algebra Out Loud which has ideas for communicating math that could be written!
Last, for inspiration, I read Teaching with Heart: Poetry that Speaks to the Courage to Teach by Intrator and Scribner.
There are so many more books I could share but these are books I value today!
Post a Comment