Friday, July 12, 2013

A Fun Surprise Today!

I enjoy surprises!  Today I received a Facebook message from Danielle, a friend and fellow educator, that she was nominating my blog for a Liebster Award!  I was surprised and delighted!  And then, I had to find out what the Liebster Award was all about.

The Liebster Award is a way for bloggers to recognize others who are getting started or have fewer than 200 followers.  It's a way to spread encouragement and help bloggers receive some recognition!  

Thank you, Danielle, for thinking of me!  If you are stopping by my blog, be sure to visit Danielle at Busy Little Brainiacs!

It seems that if you look back through various posts recognized with the Liebster Award, there are no hard and fast "rules."  There are suggestions for how to pass on the love ... 

To accept the nomination I must:
1. Link back to the blog that nominated you
2. Nominate 5 blogs with fewer than 200 followers
3. Answer the questions posted by your nominator
4. Share 11 random facts about yourself
5. Create 11 questions for your nominees
6. Contact your nominees and let them know you nominated them

I'm nominating the following 5 blogs.  
(No pressure, just want to let you know I appreciate your blogs!)

  1. Flip! Learn! Share!
  2. Curiouser and Curiouser
  3. Alwilder's Daughter
  4. Simplifying Radicals
  5. Algebra 1 Teachers

Questions give to me!
1.   What is your favorite subject to teach?  My favorite subject to teach is math.  I particularly enjoy teaching Algebra, both the first and second year.  I also enjoy teaching Reading/Language Arts.  I love to work with students in writing and learning to love poetry!
2.  What is your favorite book?  I have many favorite books but the one I read over and over is A Circle of Quiet by Madeleine L’Engle.  This is Book One in her Crosswicks Journal!
3.  If you could live in any country, which one would you live in?  I have visited Greece twice and loved it there.  I love the rocky coast, beautiful sea, and the scrumptious food!  I believe Greece could be my second home!
4.  Do you have any pets? If so what kind and what are their names?  I have one pet; his name is Tweety.  He is a cockatiel.  This summer he will be 17 years old.  He is delightful!
5.  What was your first job?  My first job was dipping ice cream at High’s Ice Cream store in Norfolk, Virginia!  I have loved good ice cream ever since … my favorite now is Blue Bell!
6.  What's the best advice you ever got?  Don’t spend too much time enjoying the past, or worrying over the future.  You may miss the best of times … the right now time!  I wrote a short blog post about living in the present here!
7.  What is the most played song on your iTunes?  Uh-oh, I’m not an iTunes fan.  I have four favorite channels on Pandora – Texas Country, 60’s Fun, Worship, and All Christmas!
8.  Who is your role model or what inspires you?  I draw inspiration from the scriptures.  Jesus was an amazing teacher.  Study his teaching model to discover awesome strategies!
9.  What is your favorite part about back to school?  My favorite part about teaching is planning.  When I plan well, taking time for creativity to simmer, then I find the students and I have much more fun learning!
10.           What is your dream vacation?  I am a beach girl.  Give me some time along the beaches of 30A and I’ll be more than happy!
11.           If you weren't a teacher, what would you be?  Maybe I would be a baker!  I love to try out various sweets (and savory tidbits, too) made from dough!  Or maybe a librarian – I love to read!


11 Random Facts

1. I have worked in education for 31 years and I’m not done yet!2. I enjoy watching silly romantic comedies – especially the ones starring Tom Hanks. 
3. While I have lived in only 3 states, I’ve moved 14 times! 
4. I met my husband in Tennessee, we had our first date in North Carolina, and we married in Virginia! 
5. Early in my teaching career, students used to make up “She’s so short” jokes (after we established strong relationships)! 
6. Sometimes my words come out backwards. I used to spoil Christmas secrets in our family. My dad asked me once what my mom got him for Christmas, and I shouted, “a Tie-Bow!” 
7. I used to play the piano well. I wish I had never stopped practicing! 
8. I love the quiet of the morning; like to be the first one up so that I can sip my tea and meditate! 
9. While I like to make desserts, I only want a few bites and then I’m done … unless the dessert is brownies or cookies. Then … I can’t resist seconds, thirds, ...
10. I find it difficult to watch TV without also doing something else … reading, crocheting, computer work! 
11. I am an introvert, really quite shy, and this assignment is challenging!

Questions for My Nominees  ... 

1. What is your favorite aspect in teaching?
2. How do you re-energize? 
3. What is your favorite day-trip? 
4. If you cook, what’s your favorite recipe? If don’t cook, what do you order out most often? 
5. What colors do you use in your classroom décor? 
6. If you could have dinner with a current famous person in our world, who would choose and why? 
7. What is your favorite TV show? 
8. What is your favorite school supply? 
9. What advice would you like to share with the parents of your students? 
10. When you travel do you prefer a tent, a camper, or a hotel room? 
11. What inspired you to blog?

Thank you, again, Danielle!  I enjoyed the exploring the Liebster Award and writing my blog today!










1 comment: