Monday, October 15, 2012

slope/intercept practice worksheet turned game

We are just beginning our unit on Linear Functions.  The emphasis is on finding and interpreting slope and intercepts in various representations - like graphs, tables, and with points.  We will alternate our work between "naked" graphs/tables/points and problem situations in which students have to make sense of the context.

To get us started this week we will learn the basics about graphing a line, learn how to find slope and discuss the x- and y-intercepts.  We will just have one class period, and I want students to have plenty of practice.  So I created a simple game ... Slope/Intercept Game.  It's not complicated ... just simple basic practice that should go fairly quickly.

Slope Intercept Gameboard by Beth Ferguson


I have a couple of other activities to post later that I am using in my introduction to emphasize that slope is not just about a hill ... but that it is about rate of change.

7 comments:

  1. Nice work, Beth. I copied this into my list of potential games for the upcoming graphing unit. I appreciate your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. instillnessthedancingOctober 15, 2012 at 2:00 PM

    Hope it works well for you! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. instillnessthedancingOctober 15, 2012 at 5:00 PM

    I posted 2 other introductory slope activities in my "box" account. Both activities involve plotting a graph and determining the various rates of change.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post reminded me of an outdoor activity I watched unfold once where students were given 100-feet measuring tapes and had to find the "slope" between different-colored Frisbees. The Frisbees were placed on a softball field using the foul lines as the axes, and the students had to find the "coordinates" of the different Frisbees so that they could find the slope between them. I believe the teacher had printed out basic black-and-white pictures of a softball diamond for the students to use to mark where the Frisbees were.

    ReplyDelete
  5. instillnessthedancingOctober 16, 2012 at 1:05 PM

    WOW! Sounds like a great idea ... I have a bit of a rowdy bunch ... afraid we would have a bit of pandemonium.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where is the "box" account? Thank you for all of your work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. instillnessthedancingOctober 25, 2012 at 1:17 PM

    It's the Flash Widget at the bottom of the page on the website.

    ReplyDelete