Sunday, October 14, 2012

math club memories!

In past years I had great fun with math clubs.  I did not sponsor clubs that were intensely competitive.  Instead, I sponsored clubs at grades 4 - 8 that were exploratory.   We would explore math topics that were not commonly included in the core curriculum.

A few of my favorite resources included:

  • NCTM's Student Math Notes (now called Student Explorations in Math)  These are copyright protected but available with a small membership fee.

  • Cynthia Lanius' website has fun math explorations suitable for class or clubs.

  • For my elementary students we worked various puzzles - like these or these!

  • We worked sample contest problems - samples at Math Olympiad

  • And we played favorite games like Set, 24, and Equate!  There is a SET tutorial and daily game online.  There is a 24 game online as well!

  • We read Theoni Pappas' stories about Penrose, the mathematical cat!

I haven't sponsored a math club for several years.  Instead I sponsored a writing club ... which was different and fun!  If I were in an elementary school this year I would consider combining the two ideas ... math stories, math poems, and math problems!

1 comment:

  1. [...] Math Club Memories Share this:FacebookTwitterPrintRedditEmailDiggLike this:LikeBe the first to like this. This entry [...]

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Thursday Thoughts ... Student Engagement

Student Engagement So many possibilities! Students want to be known, for us to know that they are in the room, that they matter! Gree...