Below are a list of 25 +1 questions - too many to use, of course - but maybe there are a few that would be useful in your class!
- In a word, describe school.
- Write one word that describes you as a person.
- Who is the celebrity that will play YOU in a movie of your life?
- Think about the best teacher you ever had. What one phrase describes that best teacher?
- If you could have lunch with a famous person, who would it be? Why?
- If you could spend a day anywhere – where would it be?
- What grade do you expect to earn in this class?
- What are your favorite things to do when you're not in school?
- Write down three things you did not understand in math class last year.
- What extracurricular activities (sports, clubs, band, student council, etc) do you want to participate in this year?
- Do you think you are smart? Why or why not?
- Tell me one highlight of your summer.
- What is one thing you would really like to know about me (teacher’s name)? (Be original, because I will eventually answer everybody's questions!)
- What is the most important thing I need to do as a teacher to help you succeed in our class?
- What’s the one thing you hope I don’t do as a teacher? Or I don’t like it when teachers do … ?
- How do you typically study for tests? What helps you learn best?
- What do you want to do after you graduate from high school?
- What is your favorite TV show?
- What is your favorite movie? Does it have a great soundtrack?
- Name one song you’d like to be on our class playlist.
- Sweet, sour, or salty? What is your favorite snack? Do you have any allergies I should know about?
- What are you most proud of?
- What is the best book or books you have ever read?
- What do you want to learn HOW to do?
- What have you most loved learning (even if not in school)? Why?
- Do you have a job? If so, what do you do?
If you use a student survey, how do you organize the information? Do you use Google Forms? Do you create a page of information for each student?
One idea might be to create a grid for your seating chart. Under each student name include 3 facts about students so you can reference those while learning their names, and checking attendance! Snap a picture to create a pictorial seating chart!