Sunday, January 11, 2015

Weekly Summary, continued

I'm not sure what week to call this ... and I'm taking a break from blogging!
But summarizing the week has value ...

Lessons - just 2 of them in four days because we have A/B schedules

  1. Graphing polynomials are not in our standards but I'm glad we started with graphing.  We introduced polynomials by exploring the end behavior and also the behavior at the zeros.   We worked from factored polynomials.  Linear factors cross the x-axis, squared factors bounce on the axis, and cubed factors wiggle across the axis.  We created human graphs ... student volunteers represented factors of a polynomial.  The held hands showing the behavior of the graphs.  Students laughed, clapped, and graphed well!
  2. We had one of those "WOW" moments when I asked students to divide 693 by 21 and then I divided 6x^2 + 9x + 3 by 2x + 1.  We laughed as we thought about the day in fourth grade when they learned long division and how that day foreshadowed the lesson we had this week.  I told them their fourth grade teacher just left out the variables so as to leave the fun for us this week.  Students liked the connection to long division ... but when I introduced synthetic division they were so sold!  Ma'am, why would anyone use long division if synthetic division works?
Coming up ... factoring polynomials.  The lesson is not cute or fun.  We'll be studying patterns, using whiteboards, I do, you do!  If all goes well I found a jeopardy game online to play ... we'll see.

I have the best students!  They returned to school ready to work, listening, taking notes, participating, and demonstrating good work!

And that's all we do with polynomials.  It's a short unit in the scheme of things.  There is so much we don't do.  But that's OK!

We will test on Wednesday/Thursday!

In the meanwhile, I've been reading a few books ... enjoying rest and relaxation!

  • What Happens at Christmas by Victoria Alexander
  • I Still Dream of You by Fannie Flagg
  • When Crickets Cry by Charles Martin
  • A Million Little Ways: Uncover the Art You Were Made to Live by Emily Freeman
  • Unshaken: Ruth by Francine Rivers




No comments:

Post a Comment