Sunday, December 7, 2014

#MTBoSChallenge Weekly Summary 17



I'm quite behind in blogging ... but I don't want to miss out on this week's summary!

3 Holiday Events so far

  • Mozarts Coffee Roasters is a lovely coffee and dessert shop on the Colorado River.  In December they organize a beautiful light show ... about 15 - 20 minutes of amazing lights blinking on and off to a variety of holiday music.  Our sons, their wives, the grandsons, and my dad went this past Monday night!  It was great fun!
  • A Cappella Texas Men's Chorus presented an awesome Christmas concert Saturday.  I loved their choice of music and the enthusiasm in which they presented the program.  In addition to the chorus, several barbershop quartets sang as well.  We especially enjoyed Vocal Spectrum and The Academy.
  • We capped Saturday with the Holiday Stroll presented by KUT and KUTX.  Hundreds of folks in Austin gathered in front of the Capitol building to sing Christmas carols and songs ...and to light the city tree.
2 Appetizers I want to make

The book club I joined recently is meeting Tuesday evening.  We read A RedBird Christmas by Fannie Flagg.  So our meeting is at our leader's house ... a Christmas theme.  I'm thinking of taking one of these two treats ... 

1 Age Old Problem ... Still!

I've been talking with students during our current unit on quadratics about the value of doing their own homework. Homework grades are high and I use that as a litmus test for what I need to review in class - so all is well! Hmmmm ... then I ask students to do similar work in class, and some students who have 100s on that homework can't do the work.  I'm trying to help students see that completing their homework, even struggling through it, helps them gain skills, and helps them know what questions they need to be asking.  I wish our team had not decided to grade homework ... 

No comments:

Post a Comment