My summary for this week ...
1 Great Discussion:
Odd One Out using our parent functions ... activity here and here. We had fun with this conversation ... and students will be ready for their compare/contrast questions on the test tomorrow! Students found these ideas:
- The quadratic function because it is the only one symmetrical about the y-axis.
- The exponential function because it is the only one with an asymptote.
- The exponential function because it is the only one that does not pass through the origin.
- The linear function because it is the only one with an unrestricted range.
- The linear function because is the only "straight" line.
- The linear function because it is the only one that can be found in the third quadrant.
- The square root function because it is the only one that is only found in the first quadrant.
- The square root function because it is the only one with a restrict domain.
2 Good activities this week:
We did stations to review for the test coming tomorrow.
- I grouped the desks in groups of six ... to have five groups in the room.
- I used https://www.superteachertools.net/ to create the goups.
- I used acrylic frames ... one task in each frame.
- Students had one answer sheet they carried from group to group.
- We reviewed transformations, regression equations from data, function notation, domain and range as well as vocabulary.
- Groups were instructed to help one another ... the room buzzed with the happy talk of students working together!
One set of classes had a little extra time due to the way our blocked classes fell. I used the extra time to explore Desmos' Central Park with students. Students were thoroughly engaged in the activity! And it provided a good preview to our next unit in translating problem situations into equations!
3 Things I'm looking forward to this week!
- Students take their first test this week. I'm eager to see how they do! The first test has the potential to cause some anxiety!
- We start systems of equations with a heavy emphasis on problem solving. I'm using the Tortoise, Hare and Rat as the opener! I also plan to use Mathalicious Flicks.
- Students are going to do their first homework assignment on Desmos this week! I look forward to teaching them how to do that! (They've seen me model work on Desmos!)
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.ReplyDelete
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.Delete