Thursday, July 3, 2014

#70Days: What books are on your bookshelf?

Late Wednesday afternoon I saw a tweet about the ideal bookshelf and it piqued my interest!

So I checked out Wessling's ideal bookshelf for teachers and decided I might try to catalog a few of my favorite books here.

My husband and I have move a lot, too many times, all for good reasons. The moves had their drawbacks for sure ... I was always the "new" teacher on the hall, for example.  But it had advantages as well!  I saw how education is done in three states, at three levels (elementary, middle and high) and in both private and public schools.

Another benefit was having to decide with each move which books to box up and which to let go.  I don't let go of books easily (and neither does my husband) so together we had way too many books.

Today I have basically one bookshelf (6 shelves) of books that survived various moves.  Now I don't plan to tell you about all six shelves in this blog - so relax.  Instead, I'm going to be selective and share some of the books I consider important resources.

Assessment is essential ... these two books are essential!
  • Embedded Formative Assessment by Dylan Wiliams 
  • Mathematics Formative Assessment: 75 Practical Strategies by Keeley and Tobey
Asking the right questions is significant!  These books are super resources for identifying good questions!
  • Good Questions for Math Teaching: Why Ask Them and What to Ask, K-6 by Sullivan and Lilburn
  • Good Questions for Math Teaching, Grades 5-8: Why Ask Them and What to Ask by Anderson and Schuster
  • Good Questions: Great Ways to Differentiate Mathematics Instruction by Marian Small
  • More Good Questions: Great Ways to Differentiate Secondary Mathematics Instruction by Small and Lin
Instructional strategies are key!  Using research-based strategies to develop strong lessons are necessary!
  • The Art and Science of Teaching: A Comprehensive Framework for Effective Instruction by Marzano
  • The Strategic Teacher: Selecting the Right Research-Based Strategy for Every Lesson by Silver, Strong, and Perini
For enrichment and mathematical background information I love to read Theoni Pappas!
  • More Joy of Mathematics
  • The Joy of Mathematics
  • Math Talk
  • Fractals, Googols, and Other Mathematical Tales
  • The Magic of Mathematics
  • The Music of Reason
  • The Adventures of Penrose–the Mathematical Cat
  •  Math for Kids & Other People Too!
Last, for inspiration, just like Wessling, I read Teaching with Heart: Poetry that Speaks to the Courage to Teach by Intrator and Scribner.

There are so many more books I could share but these are books I value today!

What books are on your bookshelf?  What books do you recommend I read?

PS ... today I bought 2 new books ... yikes!  Hope to be able to recommend them to you soon ... 
  • Play: How it Shapes the Brain, Opens the Imagination, and Invigorates the Soul by Brown and Vaughan
  • Fostering Grit: How do I prepare my students for the real world? by Hoerr

No comments:

Post a Comment