Sunday, December 2, 2012

transformation in context - classwork

Made 4 MathOur unit on equations of lines has been rocky!  Students are still on a very slippery slope as we head into the test next week.  We do have one review day coming up - I am trying to plan well for that work!

In the meanwhile, Friday we spent a short while on translations of lines in context.  What if we graph this first situation ... and then the situation changes.  Students seem to understand graphing, lines, and equations so much better in context!  Yea!  Better celebrate where I can <smile!>

To conclude that lesson, I modified a task that was passed around in our PLC - Equations of Lines in Context.

I think I may create another similar task for our review in order to build on the success we experienced Friday!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, I uploaded that task. I like that it asked them to put things in context, it went in my list of things to use next year as we implement Common Core. I often download useful things from your site, I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. instillnessthedancingDecember 2, 2012 at 2:33 PM

    Interpreting the meaning of our algebra topics (putting in context) is a strong focus of our program. I find that my students do so much better when our skills are put in context! Glad you are finding the work I've posted helpful.

    ReplyDelete