Thursday, August 2, 2018

NoteTaking - why Cornell Notes?

I love the "BLAugust Challenge!" So I'm going to jump in this month to share a few things I found helpful in the classroom, some favorite sites and tools and such!

Today's blog is inspired by @MarshFosh73's tweet today ... she wrote:
Input needed: How do you give notes in class? Do you give your students typed, fill in the blank type notes? (This is what I do, but am 2nd-guessing.) Do students write notes by hand? Do students take notes on a device?

I have created guided notes ... and my colleague next door still does.  But in my last year or two, I tried to go to a more open Cornell Notes style.  Our school emphasized using Cornell Notes across all disciplines.  Some teachers provided the guided notes in that format.  Personally, I like my note-taking to have more flexibility.  So in the first weeks of school I shared various graphics of Cornell Notes, explained why they were important, provided some structured time to set them up, and to complete them.  We even shared a time or two what each of us wrote in our notes ... so that we could get some feedback.

Basically Cornell notes have 3 areas ... cues/questions on the left, notes in the larger right column, and a summary at the bottom.  One routine homework assignment was to create appropriate cue/questions on the left to go with their notes, as well as to summarize the day's work.

I am curious how other folks organize their notes for students in upper levels of math!  How much structure do students need?  

If you want to participate in Mrs. F's twitter convo ... here's the link!  Share your note-taking style!
#BLAugustChallenge2018


No comments:

Post a Comment