Tuesday, August 23, 2016

#MTBoSBlaugust Parent Communication

Connecting with parents is essential!  I discovered that high school parents LOVE it when you communicate with them!  They appreciate the extra effort and they like knowing what is happening in
your classroom!

So what did I do?  I sent out a weekly email!  I kept it short, newsy, informal.  I made comment on a recent activity and encouraged parents to ask their teens about it.  I included upcoming events in class, and school wide.  I dragged the email into a file for a record of positive communication!

I also invited parents to join my Remind group.  I embedded the Remind texts (streaming) on our class website.  At the end of the year I downloaded the texts as part of my communication evidence.

Last I made all of our work public.  I used Google Sites but other websites would work just as well.  I liked Google Sites because it interacted with Google Drive nicely.  I created a folder for all class documents.  Uploaded that folder to our class website.  Then when I added each assignment, it automatically updated online.

How are you communicating with parents?  How do you provide them a snapshot of what's happening in your classroom?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Thursday Thoughts ... Student Engagement

Student Engagement So many possibilities! Students want to be known, for us to know that they are in the room, that they matter! Gree...