Friday, August 26, 2016

#MTBoSBlaugust Friday Fun Day - 15 random things


Friday Fun day ... 

15 things ... random and otherwise ... 

1. Someone mentioned that I am short … I rarely notice it.  Early in my teaching career, I invited my students to write short jokes … the favorite one was … “you are so short you can play handball against the curb.” I don’t play handball so I don’t need the curb … it’s all yours!  I can actually get lost among students in the classroom if we are up and about doing math!

2. I love the beauty of mathematics … I especially love seeing the patterns and the way various strands in math overlap. I see angles in the trees, spirals in flowers, and numbers all around.

3. I saw that my sister wrote her husband is the best  on Facebook … well he’s cool and all that … but MY husband is the best! Actually the two of them are trying to attain to the high standard my dad has set!

4. My sons are smarter than I am … how does that happen?

5. As a teacher, a principal once told me I would not make a good principal; it was never my goal in life to be a school administrator; I was sure I would never leave the classroom; God is full of surprises!  I had 12 amazing years as an administrator - wouldn't trade those at all! Learned much from my teachers, parents, and students!

6. I use … ellipses … too much … in my writing.

7. I’m not into sports, not really “outdoorsy” but I love wandering through the woods or walking on the beach. It’s how I decompress the best!

8. In high school I sang in our school’s madrigal group … I miss choral singing.  I wish my church had a choir!


9. Growing up our family went camping every summer - first in a tent, then in a popup camper, and then a cottage at the beach!   I miss camping but I've come to love creature comforts!  
The best hot dog I’ve ever eaten was just a bit sandy after having been grilled at the beach.

10. This is the 14th home in my married life … moved way too often!  I had the opportunity of being the new teacher on staff way too many times!


11. I don’t like to talk on the phone … I rarely call anyone. So don’t be offended that I haven’t called you. I’ll gladly email you, DM you on Twitter … or message you on Facebook.


12. I love my grandsons!  I'm blessed to live within a mile of them - we get to play often!  And now I have two more grandsons on the way!  Can't wait :)

13. I’ve taught every grade from grade 5 to grade 12 … every subject from reading, ‘riting, ‘rithmetic, to health, science and PE. Can you imagine me … teaching basketball skills to boys in middle school?

14. My family dubbed me the birthday cake baker … I don’t do “fancy” cakes … I think the family makes a big deal over them to get me to make another cake!


15. I spent 35 years as an educator. I retired in June!  Do I miss teaching?  Yes and no!  I don't miss the getting up, going, and exhaustion!  I DO miss interacting with students and colleagues!  I've decided to stay active on this blog and on Twitter ... until the passion for teaching runs out :)

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your cherished memories in this post. I did not know you retired. Best wishes to you, Beth! I am sure you influenced many lives with your passion for learning, your integrity, your sense of humor, and your love of life. I feel blessed with every one of your post. Keep it up, please, for all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I am so grateful that you are still active in the MTBoS even in retirement. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with all of us.

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Thursday Thoughts ... Student Engagement

Student Engagement So many possibilities! Students want to be known, for us to know that they are in the room, that they matter! Gree...