Friday, August 26, 2016
#MTBoSBlaugust Friday Fun Day - 15 random things
Friday Fun day ...
15 things ... random and otherwise ...
1. Someone mentioned that I am short … I rarely notice it. Early in my teaching career, I invited my students to write short jokes … the favorite one was … “you are so short you can play handball against the curb.” I don’t play handball so I don’t need the curb … it’s all yours! I can actually get lost among students in the classroom if we are up and about doing math!
2. I love the beauty of mathematics … I especially love seeing the patterns and the way various strands in math overlap. I see angles in the trees, spirals in flowers, and numbers all around.
3. I saw that my sister wrote her husband is the best on Facebook … well he’s cool and all that … but MY husband is the best! Actually the two of them are trying to attain to the high standard my dad has set!
4. My sons are smarter than I am … how does that happen?
5. As a teacher, a principal once told me I would not make a good principal; it was never my goal in life to be a school administrator; I was sure I would never leave the classroom; God is full of surprises! I had 12 amazing years as an administrator - wouldn't trade those at all! Learned much from my teachers, parents, and students!
6. I use … ellipses … too much … in my writing.
7. I’m not into sports, not really “outdoorsy” but I love wandering through the woods or walking on the beach. It’s how I decompress the best!
8. In high school I sang in our school’s madrigal group … I miss choral singing. I wish my church had a choir!
9. Growing up our family went camping every summer - first in a tent, then in a popup camper, and then a cottage at the beach! I miss camping but I've come to love creature comforts! The best hot dog I’ve ever eaten was just a bit sandy after having been grilled at the beach.
10. This is the 14th home in my married life … moved way too often! I had the opportunity of being the new teacher on staff way too many times!
11. I don’t like to talk on the phone … I rarely call anyone. So don’t be offended that I haven’t called you. I’ll gladly email you, DM you on Twitter … or message you on Facebook.
12. I love my grandsons! I'm blessed to live within a mile of them - we get to play often! And now I have two more grandsons on the way! Can't wait :)
13. I’ve taught every grade from grade 5 to grade 12 … every subject from reading, ‘riting, ‘rithmetic, to health, science and PE. Can you imagine me … teaching basketball skills to boys in middle school?
14. My family dubbed me the birthday cake baker … I don’t do “fancy” cakes … I think the family makes a big deal over them to get me to make another cake!
15. I spent 35 years as an educator. I retired in June! Do I miss teaching? Yes and no! I don't miss the getting up, going, and exhaustion! I DO miss interacting with students and colleagues! I've decided to stay active on this blog and on Twitter ... until the passion for teaching runs out :)