Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Noticing, Wondering with Make It Stick: the science of successful learning

I love to "see" students thinking!  I love sharing the research I read this summer ... can't wait to put it in practice with them.

From some of my students ... after reading or viewing a summary of Make It Stick by Peter Brown:

What I notice:
  • “Make it Stick” focuses on how the student thinks about learning and goes about learning rather than how the material is taught
  • A majority of the chapters focus on how the student review or practice the content.
  • Academic skill revolves more around environment and effort.
  • I notice how the author mentions that cramming information before a test the next day isn’t as potent as people believe.
  • I also notice how he mentions retrieval practice and how it should be more spread out.
  • I believe I have experienced “the illusion of knowing” after re-reading content as a study strategy
  • When I study, I notice that using the retrieval method is more difficult than other methods
What I wonder:
  • Can someone pick up study skills or do they have to be developed over time?
  • Do genetics still influence how well someone does academically?
  • Does involvement in other non-academic activities have a positive influence on academic development?
  • Is a certain type of learning more powerful/memorable than another or if it is specific to the person?
  • Why does spacing out study sessions make your learning more potent causing your memory and learning to be stronger?
  • I wonder why arduous effort in retaining memory is more effective than memorizing something. 
  • I also wonder why i’ve never been taught this before as it provides great information on how to keep your grades in superb shape.
  • How were these studying strategies thought of, and how many people did they test them on?
  • I wonder if there are any methods even more effective than retrieval practice?

 Brown, P. (n.d.). Make it stick: The science of successful learning

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Thursday Thoughts ... Student Engagement

Student Engagement So many possibilities! Students want to be known, for us to know that they are in the room, that they matter! Gree...