Tuesday, January 13, 2015

making the world a better place #youredustory

I've grown up in a bubble ...

  • my parents loved each other ... and their three girls
  • my home growing up was happy ... balanced with reading, games, music, church, fellowship
  • my husband of 40 years still loves me
  • my sons and their wives are precious
  • my grandsons are the BEST!


So ... when I think about making the world a better place I think first of my bubble ... it's already pretty grand ...

And when the hard realities of life outside my bubble hit me, I wonder ... how can I make a difference there?

I teach to make a difference outside of my bubble ... I teach math to teens.  Most of my teens are into math so that makes it fun to introduce them to new concepts.

I asked two young ladies today ... have you looked ahead at the colleges you want to attend and the programs you want to study ... what math will be required?  Their eyes lit up ... we could blog about that!  Oh yea ... love our math blogs!  Can't wait to see what they find about future math options.

Another student eagerly shared with me his fascination with roller coasters.  We've been studying polynomials and he was so excited to make the connection between the path of the roller coaster and the graphs we have examined.

It's the little interactions ... the conversations on the side ... sharing bits and pieces of our journey ... that make our world a better place.

I'm in high school now, but for a while I sojourned as an elementary principal. Each year I shared my favorite story, Miss Rumphius. Alice’s Grandfather tells her that before she grows old she must do three things: Go to faraway places, live by the sea, and do something to make the world more beautiful.  I think I'll share this story with my teens ... it will make a good "new year's" focus ... to make our world a better place!

No comments:

Post a Comment