Thursday, August 7, 2014

#70Days Working on fractions

Denise @letsplaymath posted a card game to practice fractions this week.  I plan to modify the game as we don't really have time to play a whole game.  My students are in Algebra 2 and advanced - and yet based on last year, fractions are a definite weakness!  Here's the gist:

Students will be sitting in groups of 3 or 4.  I'll put enough playing cards (minus the face cards) in their groups so that each student gets five cards.  On the first day I'll ask each student to choose from their five cards just two cards to create a fraction that is as close to one as possible (but not equal to one). In each group students will decide who has the closest fraction and justify their responses.  Next, the group will put their fractions in order from least to greatest.  Last, I'll ask them to find the sum of their fractions.

On subsequent days, I'll just change the target ... closest to 1/2, or 1/3, etc.

PS ... after reading Denise's post more carefully, I realize her game is a modification of games played at #TMC14 ... and the games are described here.

My goal is to use the game format to get at numeracy skills.  Facility with fractions is huge in pre-cal and calculus.




No comments:

Post a Comment