Saturday, July 26, 2014

#70Days learning from #TMC14 from a distance

51/70

I'm struggling with blogging today ... not feeling great, had a stressful weekend, and just now realizing I have only 2 weeks of summer left ... yikes!

But in an effort to stick with it ... here are five favorite things I've culled from the #TMC14 sessions this week although I am #notatTMC14!!  I've been both worn out by their activity and jealous all at the same time!

First I listened to MathEdout's podcast on the recap of Day 1!  Pumphrey shared his favorite game - the game of 99.  I loved learning about that game and while it doesn't fit my curriculum perfectly, I can use the game for those few fill in moments - to emphasize numeracy.  I also got to listen to a short interview with Steve Leinwand.  Love the emphasis on knowing why ... not just how!  I saw several tweets on using "convince me" in class.  To follow up, this picture was posted on Twitter today ... we have to teach for understanding - not the tricks!


Second, I read Kathryn's recap of day 1. She mentioned Chris Shore (@MathProjects) using the Rodin sculpture "The Thinker" to encourage problem solving and persistence. I'm decorating a newly assigned classroom this year ... love this idea! She also mentioned, Rebecka Peterson's (@RebeckaMozdeh) "Friday letter" in which students can write her a letter in place of a warm-up on Friday. Rebecka writes back to all the students! That's an amazing opportunity to build relationships! I might adapt that idea - have students write me an email!

On that same day, someone shared an op-ed piece on coaching as a metaphor for teaching!  I want to tape a reminder of this on my desk somewhere!  It's easy to so caught up in the moment, that we forget to hold kids to high standards and to do it through a coaching mentality!  (By the way if you like metaphors, check out this website of metaphors for teaching - very interesting!)



Kathryn blogged about her day two. I quote: "Glenn Waddell (@gwaddellnvhs) shared that an old smart phone can become a great (free) video camera for your classroom. And...bonus...notching a slit in the bottom of a cup and placing it on a table upside down makes a pretty great tripod. Genius!" I've got two old smartphones sitting around somewhere ... now I know what to do with them!  Kathryn also mentioned dinner that night, and the friends with whom she ate ... and she learned that Greg (@mathtans) writes polynomial fiction!  Well I tracked that down ... what fun!  I'll be sharing these stories with my students.  Not sure how ... but definitely on my to-do list!  You have to check out G. Taylor's Polynomials!



Last for my Five Things ... I read Pam's favorites posted today (@pamjwilson ) on her blog.  One of her favorites is Plickers!  I just learned about Plickers at the end of the school year and I haven't tried them yet.  Her post jogged my  memory ... now I want to get my cards ready to use in the first weeks of school!






Those are my Five Faves from #TMC14 scoured from blogs and Twitter!  Next up will be to peruse the TMC website  ... and review the handouts posted!

Maybe next year I can go to the Twitter Math Camp!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Thursday Thoughts ... Student Engagement

Student Engagement So many possibilities! Students want to be known, for us to know that they are in the room, that they matter! Gree...