Saturday, May 10, 2014

Numeracy - formulating my plan of attack!

I just ordered this book for summer reading and planning: Building Powerful Numeracy for Middle and High School Students by Pamela Weber Harris.

This year I have had the privilege of working with advanced students taking a pre-AP Algebra 2 course in ninth and tenth grades.  I enjoy working with them tremendously.  And I am shocked at the apparent lack of number sense.  Fractions, in particular, have been troubling for my students.  They don't understand the concept of a common denominator, and especially don't understand how it is related to the factorization of the given denominators.

Next year I want to address number sense in a strategic way.  

Already in our math department we read this article  recently and discussed it briefly.  I also submitted the article to Read, Chat, Reflect so I hope to discuss numeracy at the secondary level sometime soon on the Twitter chat, #EduRead.

Our PLC also discussed numeracy.  Next year every test will have a non-calculator portion as well as a calculator portion to force the use of mental arithmetic.

I wrote about numeracy last year in a blog - but now I need to re-read it, digest it, and work with the resources I found then!

Then later this summer, I am presenting in our district's summer professional development extravaganza on the topic of "warm-ups."  I submitted this proposal to share the wonderful resources I've learned about through #MTBoS but also to give myself a contextual reason to build systematic warm-ups addressing numeracy for the fall.  (Planning to share Estimation 180, Visual Patterns, 101 Questions, Would You Rather, and more!)

I have noticed in my search that little is written on numeracy at the secondary level.  If you have materials, suggestions, an outline of expectations in numeracy in high school math, I'd love to see those.  AND if you are interested in collaborating on such an outline, let me know!  You can reach me at educator {dot} ch {at} gmail {dot} com.

#MTBoS30


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post. I hope you can find the guide for high school numeracy, I would help, but I think I need to first look through a number of resources, including all of the things you listed in this post (which are all new to me). Thanks for filling out the Roll Call Survey over on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete