Sunday, September 29, 2013

Explore the MTBoS!

Last summer (2012) I moved, took a new job, returning to the classroom after 12 years in administration.  I was nervous to say the least.  I started to scour the Internet for teaching tips, ideas, lesson plans, advice.  In my journey, I discovered a world of teacher bloggers.  Specifically I discovered a band of middle and high school math teachers who loosely formed an alliance they call the Math Twitter Blog O Sphere!  I added those teachers to my blogging feed and began following their work.

In the fall of 2012, they sent out an "all-call" for math teachers to join in the tweeting and blogging.  They published topics, offered to comment, and highlighted our blogging attempts on their own blogs.  The response was huge.  I participated ... enjoyed the challenge ... and my math blog took on a life of its own.  I don't have a huge following ... but I don't write for followers.  I write to satisfy a personal need, and more than that to reflect on my teaching.  As I write I find strengths to celebrate and areas (many of them) to strengthen!

This year this MTBoS has sent out another "all-call!"  Check it out here!  Here is a snippet from their introduction:

So we know that this name, mathtwitterblogosphere, is a bit of a mouthful. And even worse, when abbreviated to MTBoS (prounounced: mitt-boss), it sounds like edutechjargonspeech. We despise jargon. So apologies in advance! What the mathtwitterblogosphere is, ultimately, is a gaggle of math teachers who are unnaturally obsessed with teaching math. And over time, they’ve banded together on the interwebs and have unintentionally become a cohesive gaggle of obsessed math teachers who take pride in freely sharing the best math teaching ideas. If you want a sense of who the people are or what these people do, check out this website they created together.

The 8-week challenge begins soon!  I invite you to try the challenge, and share your ideas - great or small!  It's simple to participate ... just go to this webpage:  http://exploremtbos.wordpress.com/ and leave your information in the comments!

Beth

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you posted about it, and I am so glad that you are signing up! Thanks for being such a steadfast MS Sunday Funday blogger! :) Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie. I enjoy your challenges ... it gives structure to my writing ... especially in those weeks when life at school is a bit too hum...drum.

      Delete

Featured Post

Thursday Thoughts ... Student Engagement

Student Engagement So many possibilities! Students want to be known, for us to know that they are in the room, that they matter! Gree...