I'm working on Day 1 plans ... they keep evolving as I talk with new team members. Here is the outline of my Day 1 this morning :)
August 26/27 ... Lesson Plan
- Enroll: As students enter, invite them to complete the Fixed vs Growth Mindset survey.
- As students complete the survey, ask them to put a sticky note on the board (number line) to get an overview of our class.
- Briefly explain our class emphasis on growth!
- Experience: In pairs, students will sort a set of cards into two groups – function, not a function – with no teacher direction – only questions. (I am borrowing from Math Tales from the Spring and adding a few sorting cards from VA DOE.)
- Label: Use Frayer model to define a function.
- Ask students to use the definition and discussion to assess their card sorts.
- Assign 8 Error Analysis problems. Topic: is it a function or not. Answers are provided but some are incorrect. Which ones are incorrect and why.
- Demonstrate: Introduce 7 functions to students.
- Students will take notes on family, equation, graph, domain, range, and characteristics.
- Students will enter parent functions in calculator to assist in exploration.
- Use guiding questions.
- Review: Introduce notebook expectations … use unit overview to review briefly today’s goals. Assign setting up notebook as homework.
- Celebrate! (Think about how best to do this on first day )
Here are pictures of our flip chart for families of functions ... it's a quick put-together ... individual cards taped in succession so that they flip up.
If you want the full pdf, click here.
Looking forward to seeing everyone's Day 1 plans!
I love this!!! Thanks for sharing :)ReplyDelete
Oh, you are so welcome! I've gotten so many good ideas by reading your blog ... so glad to share with you!Delete
I have been enjoying your blog and I wanted to know that I nominated you for a Liebster Award. To find out more go to http://a-sea-of-math.blogspot.com.
A Sea of Math
Hi Chris! Thank you for stopping by! And thank you for the Liebster Award!Delete