Monday, June 17, 2013

Fruity Like Terms

I noticed that some of my students had difficulty with grasping the concept of "like terms."  I needed to find a way to make the concept concrete for them.  I found fruit to be an easy analogy.  Here is the mini-poster I created ...




You can download the poster from Scribd or from my TpT store ... free!

In my classroom, I enlarged the chart and posted it at the front of the room.  For students who struggled with the concept more than others, I created a handout of the chart and asked them to keep it in their notebook for reference.  In the coming year, when I review combining like terms, I'll bring fruit to the classroom!  Last year, I just used pictures.  But I think if we handle the fruit, it will help the concept to sink in!

How do you make challenging concepts concrete for students?




Classroom Freebies Manic Monday

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Thursday Thoughts ... Student Engagement

Student Engagement So many possibilities! Students want to be known, for us to know that they are in the room, that they matter! Gree...