Sunday, March 3, 2013

Stations - work in progress

I'm so glad that the topic this week is stations.  I don't use them enough ... so I want to get more ideas.

In tomorrow's lesson, students are going to complete 4 activities.  We are wrapping up a unit; there is no new information being presented tomorrow.  It would have been the perfect day for stations ... but currently in my head I don't have the activities set up that way.   Students will ...

  • Take a quiz on data collection and quadratics.  I'll provide the data ... they will analyze.
  • Complete a practice activity on transforming quadratics.  I have a set of equations - they will describe the changes as compared to the quadratic parent function.
  • Complete an activity in which they analyze a parabola within a particular context (our unit is on characteristics of quadratics)
  • Finish the study guide for the test (we've done half of the study guide).
The day would have worked in stations ... but instead of trying to revamp this lesson, I will plan stations for Friday.  (We are on an A/B day schedule ... so Monday/Tuesday is the outline above; Wednesday/Thursday is the test).  While the work above is plain ol' practice, students will get to work with partners; I'll also post answer keys in the front of the room so that I am free to roam and help.  Students know my one rule is to check work with the keys without a pencil in hand.  For my teens there is too much temptation to change answers :)

Friday is our last day before spring break (whew - so ready!).  Students will be completing a spiral review that day.  Topics will include solving equations; something to do with lines (maybe writing equations; maybe analyzing linear functions in context); and systems of equations.  

As I'm reading the posts on stations, I'm thinking about how I could best pull together the activities for Friday.  I'll definitely be cutting up some already prepared worksheet type activities!  I hope to also use a computer station (Manga High).  I may also have an algebra tiles station.

This is the beginning of Friday's stations ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Thursday Thoughts ... Student Engagement

Student Engagement So many possibilities! Students want to be known, for us to know that they are in the room, that they matter! Gree...