Saturday, December 22, 2012

my students speak ...

I asked students to provide some feedback on our algebra class – anonymously.  It is interesting that across six classes, the thoughts are very similar.  I will review these ideas before our second semester begins …

 What is one thing you like about math or about our class?

  • It’s easy

  • I like trying to learn

  • My friends are in the class

  • Helps you learn about most things in life like money

  • Using the calculator

  • When I understand the material

  • I like how you can put math in everyday words

  • It’s fun to learn

  • The low degree of difficulty

  • It will help me in the future

  • Classmates are funny

  • I like that we have plenty of time to take our tests

  • I like that we learn well

  • I like the posters with notes that you hang around the class

  • The notes you give us

  • The active activities

  • We get rewarded

  • I like the way we do reviews

  • I like how the next topic fits in with the one we just learned

  • I like coming to morning tutorials

  • I like that we sit in groups and take notes

 What is one thing you don’t like about math or about our class?

  • The class is somewhat slow

  • It’s not helpful

  • It’s too long

  • It’s hard

  • It’s confusing

  • I don’t like having to write out everything

  • I don’t understand it

  • I don’t like when the teacher goes to fast

  • Some people are annoying

  • After you first teach us something, you expect us to know it

  • The math can get super boring

  • When I am trying to understand, I can get distracted

  • I can’t remember how to do a lot of the material until after a long time of struggling

  • Algebra is mostly pointless

  • Not being able to sit with who you want

  • Our class is noisy

  • A lot of people cheat in our class

  • Our classroom is cold

  • I don’t like quiet individual work

  • We don’t get a lot done

  • I don’t like that problems have tons of steps to get to the solutions

  • We go too fast

  • None of my friends are in the class

What can I do to help you learn Algebra better?

  • Use peers to help one another

  • By being fun

  • Take more time with the problems

  • Help me understand the questions

  • Do more activities

  • Keep me on task

  • Use more engaging activities

  • Nothing more than you are already doing

  • Explain more clearly

  • Provide food/candy

  • Use more visual learning

  • Go slower/explain more

  • Move faster – class is boring because you go too slowly

  • Keep having tutorials in the morning

  • Use pictures when you can

  • Use better activities

  • Do more homework in class so we can ask questions about it

 What can you do to help you learn Algebra better?

  • Try harder

  • Focus

  • Study more

  • Take the teacher’s advice

  • Attend tutorials

  • Pay attention in class

  • Listen when you are talking

  • Stay focused and care more

  • Start doing homework

  • Not be lazy

Hmmm ... how best to use these thoughts??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Thursday Thoughts ... Student Engagement

Student Engagement So many possibilities! Students want to be known, for us to know that they are in the room, that they matter! Gree...